Georgian traditional Christmas tree Chichilaki is a must have for New Year and Christmas holidays. Chichilaki is made of hazelnut or walnut brunch. The brunch is shaved carefully, from the bottom to the top, until it has reached an appearance of a tree. On a tip of Chichilaki berries and tangerines are hang; as a symbol of prosperity. Chichilaki is burned just before Epiphany on January 19th.
This unusual art installation is the work of French sculptor Lili Fantozzi, a self-educated 39 year-old sculptor and actress, whose works have been exhibited in contemporary art galleries in Paris, Vienna, New York and Brussels.
“I presented a miniature version of the sculpture (a pair of Keds on eggs), which is symbolic of the dangerous road for which this country has traveled in terms of reconstruction,” Fantozzi explained in one of her interviews. At the same time, she added, the sculpture can be interpreted as portraying a “dangerous life, which is like walking on such subtle things as eggs that can collapse any time.”
Though the Georgian government decided to install the sculpture in Batumi, the idea of Keds shoes was changed into sea slippers, typical for a seaside city.
Locals in Georgia’s Black sea resort town of Batumi disapproved this art installation placed in front of the Radisson Blu Hotel.
There is a beautiful bridge on the narrow-gauge railway from Borjomi in Bakuriani. It’s famous because it was built by Alexandre Gustave Eiffel in 1902. He is best known for the world-famous Eiffel Tower, built in Paris.
Narrow-gauge railway Borzhomi – Bakuriani.
Many people do not know that the railroad bridge connecting the towns of Tsagveri and Tsemi was commissioned by Romanovs in France. It was created by the famous architect Alexandre Gustave Eiffel, brought to Georgia and assembled over the Tsemistskali River.
Likani is a town in Georgia’s Samtskhe-Javakheti region, located at the west end of the town of Borjomi in the Borjomi Gorge, some 160 km west of Tbilisi, capital of Georgia.
Important landmarks include the Romanov Palace (1892-95), designed by Leopold Bilfeldt, built on the bank of the Kura River as a summer mansion of Grand Duke Nicholas Mikhailovich of Russia. In Soviet times, Likani residence was frequented by key Soviet officials, including Joseph Stalin.
In modern day Georgia a monk of the Orthodox Church, Fr. Maxim, is restoring with aid from local villagers a small 1200 year old monastic chapel on top of Katskhi Pillar. The pillar is a natural rock formation jutting upwards from the ground to a height of approximately one hundred forty feet. It was known to be used by stylites as late as the 15th century when foreign occupation by the Islamic Ottoman Empire brought an end to the practice. Upon completion Fr. Maxim hopes to take up residence on top of Katskhi as a stylite monk.